BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, January 10, 2010

~Are We Greedy~






He was very lean. Dishevelled hair, stinking shirt without two buttons and another one open, he was holding two big bags on his shoulders and a big bunch of books was kept one above another supported by his hands, stomach and chest.

The train was passing a dark tunnel which was supposed to be the longest one in this nation. The coach was illuminated badly still his gaudy bracelet bearing lord Ganesha’s image was flickering. The short trouser he was wearing had the burns of hard work here and there. Muddy pants also bore Grease and even blood stains.

“Sir, I can offer you world classics, recent best sellers, quick short story books, comics in a cheaper rate. And I bet you will never find these things so cheap anywhere else but from me.” He rolled his eyes on everyone sitting nonchalant in a trice. Not bothered, he kept his bags in the aisle and started showing the books he was carrying.”

“150 Rupees per book”, the rates were fixed, no matter what the content was or who the author is or how famous the book is. “Not a penny more than 75 if not the ultimate book”, I quipped while surfing the pirated volumes. He averted his gaze and scrutinized me. His eyes fell over me, my appearance, my preppy attire and even my baggage’s. Holding his tongue for a second he blurted, “100 per book; if you will grab two or more.”

Somebody asked him is this his main source for living. “No Sir, I very well do sell DVD’s, T shirts, candles, pens, drawing books, foreign chocolates, bangles, anklets, brooch, rakhi’s, magazines of all types and cigarettes”, the last two he said in a husky voice. One passenger commented, “Boy, you got a whole super market.” Laughter’s erupted all over the cabin, but he was busy showing me various books, but didn’t forget to wear a small smirk.

“Till what time you work?” somebody else asked. I raised my face to find the source. A codger, sitting on the window seat, was curious to know. What these people get by asking such questions? Are they mocking the boy for his state or they expect to get some intelligent answer from this boy? I wondered.

I suddenly espied him passing a wide smile. “I go to school in the morning and in the evening I sell my brands for around five hours.” That answer impressed everyone, not to mention me too. “I got a family with my mother and three sisters and a brother younger to me.” That was not asked for, but still the dialogue spattered.

The lady sitting next to me, munching few biscuits and wafers, with her sympathy ornate face, looked at him. She forwarded the opened packet biscuits and offered him few.

“My stomach is full, Madam. Just fifteen minutes before had food.” He declined the offer politely.

“Its ok son, you can have two slices of biscuits. Those wonts make a difference and there will be that much space in your space.”

“It’s not about space availability. It’s just that I am not hungry. And I think we should eat only when we are hungry. We should not be greedy for all these things.” Everyone sat their in awe. Paying me back 200 rupees he collected his material and strode ahead searching for his prospective customers.

Everyone was still stuck in awe. The train was slowing down for the next station. The metal tyres braking sounds were piercing my ears. But still, the last two dialogues lingered through the sub lanes of my conscience.

“And I think we should eat only when we are hungry.” Did he realise the depth of his dialogue? He only knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment